The good people at Andean Dream sent over some Quinoa products for me to test out. I’ve been craving a good pasta these last few days so it was the perfect excuse to cook the Quinoa Spaghetti. I normally use GF brown rice pasta so this was a good opportunity to try something different.
I made a very simple Turkey Bolognese with ingredients that I had at home. I must say I REALLY enjoyed this pasta. The consistency is really lovely – a lot less chewy than the brown rice version. It cooks really well (I went a couple minutes short of the package instructions to perfect al dente) and holds up nicely to a hearty ragu. Besides tasting great, it’s also extremely healthy: quinoa is chock full of protein and amino acids – a true wonder food.
- 1/2 lb Ground Turkey (not super lean)
- 1/2 Cup Mirepoix
- 3 Garlic Cloves, pressed
- 1 14oz Can of Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of Tomato Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dried Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dried Oregano
- Salt to taste
- Red Pepper Flakes to Taste
- 1 teaspoon of Olive Oil
- OPTIONAL: Add a splash of Coconut Milk to make this a creamy pink sauce. I did this the second day with leftovers and it was delicious!
Coat base of heavy bottomed pot with olive oil and heat. Saute mirepoix till softened. Add pressed garlic and cook for another minute. Add turkey and brown. Add spices, salt and tomato paste. Cook for 5 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for additional 30-45 minutes (the longer the better to intensify the flavor.)
Cook pasta according to package instructions.
Combine pasta and sauce and ENJOY!